Part 1: Tools for Improvement: Causal Loop Analysis
In Part 1 of your improvement plan (pages 2–4), you are to analyze the customer service issue identified at Starbucks using causal loop analysis. You should address the following:
- Create a robust causal loop diagram to capture the fundamental system behaviors, outcomes, and causes of the customer service issue at Starbucks. The causal loop diagram should identify with one of the common system archetype patterns, as defined in the Braun article. The diagram should describe fundamental system behaviors and outcomes. The diagram itself can be drawn by hand or with software. Tables are not appropriate; it must be in the form of a diagram.
- In addition to the diagram, explain why you chose this particular archetype as the best fit for the situation. (Reminder: The concept of systems thinking and its associated tools may not be understood by your audience.)
- Analyze the root cause(s) of the low customer satisfaction being experienced by Starbucks. Your analysis should be substantiated by the causal loop analysis, discussing the causal flow of the chosen archetype.
Part 2: Applying Systems Thinking Concepts
For Part 2 of your improvement plan (pages 5–7), you are to address the following:
- Analyze how the concept of mental models is present at Starbucks and how this concept either negatively or positively affects the customer experience.
- Analyze how the concepts of team learning and of building a shared vision could benefit Starbucks in terms of improving the customer experience, thereby improving customer satisfaction.
- Propose a minimum of three recommendations, based on your analysis, that might improve the customer experience at Starbucks. Explain why.